This unit, seen here at the South Hopkins Coal Company in Nortonville, Kentucky, has some interesting history.
It was built for the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific in May of 1943 and given a number of 743. It was later owned by several companies, including the one here, but eventually ended up at the Oklahoma Railway Museum. There it was put back in its original paint scheme and number, which is a wonderful thing indeed.
Please go to this webpage of the museum to read more about this interesting locomotive and its full history.
One image by Richard Koenig; taken March 25th 1976.